Post Politics: Master Archives
The White House is bringing back its former legislative affairs director Phil Schiliro to help oversee its health-care policy efforts.
Schiliro, who played an instrumental role in helping secure the passage of the Affordable Care Act while serving as the president's chief congressional liaison between January 2009 and January 2011, moved to New Mexico with his family after leaving the White House.
President Obama and his wife, Michelle, will travel to South Africa next week to honor Nelson Mandela, the White House said Friday morning, and will be accompanied by former president George W. Bush and his wife, Laura.
“President Obama and the first lady will go to South Africa next week to pay their respects to the memory of Nelson Mandela and to participate in memorial events,” said press secretary Jay Carney. “We’ll have further updates on timing and logistics as they become available.”
Former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) has closed her congressional campaign committee and transferred the remaining funds to her political action committee.
Giffords was considered a potential future candidate for higher office when she sustained a serious brain injury in a January 2011 shooting at a grocery store in Tucson. Even after the shooting and despite an arduous and still-continuing recovery process, some thought she could eventually run for Senate.
She later resigned her House seat and focused on running a pro-gun control campaign with her husband, Mark Kelly, called Veterans for Responsible Solutions.
On Thursday, she transferred the just-less-than $300,000 in her campaign account to another gun-focused effort, her Rights and Responsibilities PAC -- a transfer that is allowed by federal campaign finance law.
The termination of her campaign committee was first reported by Roll Call.
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) suggested Friday that he wants to run for president in 2016, but he said that he's first got to convince a very skeptical wife.
Paul was asked about running for president after a speech at the Detroit Economic Club, which led him to ask, "Can I call my wife?"
Hillary Rodham Clinton paid tribute to the life of Nelson Mandela on Friday morning, calling the late South African leader "a giant among us."
Clinton, who said she first met Mandela in 1992 and visited him several times over the years, including as secretary of state, noted Mandela's commitment not just to bringing democracy and freedom to his beloved South Africa but first to bringing freedom to himself.
Some federal officials knew the online small business insurance marketplace would not be ready for its Oct. 1 launch nearly six weeks before the administration announced its initial delay, according to e-mails released Friday by the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
In a series of e-mails from July 25 and Aug. 13, officials from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and HealthCare.gov's main contractor, CGI Federal, sparred over whether the Small Business Health Options Program, known as the SHOP exchange, would be ready to go on Oct. 1.
Updated at 2:55 p.m.
Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) announced Friday he will seek reelection in 2014.
"I will run for reelection to the United States Senate," Cochran said in a statement released by his campaign. "I will run hard and be successful so that I can continue to serve the people of Mississippi and our nation effectively."
Former U.S. senator Scott Brown (R-Mass.), who is toying with the idea of running for Senate in New Hampshire two years after losing his seat in Massachusetts, got the two states a little mixed up in a recent interview.
Footage posted by the Democratic super PAC American Bridge showed Brown during a brief visit to Londonderry, N.H., where he referred to "people here in Massachusett -- uh, in New Hampshire."
Brown then mentioned other northeastern states in the same context.
Earlier this week Brown wrote an op-ed for Foxnews.com that focused in part on the effects of Obamacare on the Granite State and appears to be getting closer to a potential run.
A majority of Americans want to repeal or scale back Obamacare, though still only about one-third want a full repeal, according to a new poll from Gallup.
The poll shows 32 percent want full repeal, while another 20 percent say they would like to shrink the law through either major or minor changes. The 52 percent who want to downsize the law is only slightly higher than the 50 percent who said the same in October -- just as the problems with the HealthCare.gov Web site first came to light.
Acknowledging widespread issues with the process of enrolling for new health-care coverage, House officials reiterated Thursday that lawmakers and their staffs whose current health insurance is set to be terminated at the end of the year will automatically have that coverage extended until the end of January unless they have already enrolled in new coverage.